Friday, July 27, 2012

Bhangra Bands of Years Past

LP album cover of the Birmingham-based Bhujhangy Group
Despite my obsession with bhangra, particularly British bhangra and its history as a twentieth-century phenomenon in the wake of Panjabi immigrants settling in Britain, I must admit that I do not know much about some of these groups, that what I know is mostly gleaned from the Internet and that there is much that hasn't made its way online, since people are inevitably more than a paragraph on a laptop screen. Still, I feel that a collection of images and videos here is a worthy mosaic to convey some audio-visual sense of what some bhangra bands were like in the past (particularly in the 80s and 90s). Here are some videos and some images depicting some famous (and not-so-famous) bhangra bands of the past.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting

    real bhangra without all those pisshead villagers

    ReplyDelete